Tuesday, December 19, 2017

What do you do if you Move? Have a Name Change? Are tired of Being a Texas Notary?

The SOS in Texas REALLY wants you to keep them informed of your current address.

Have you moved?  Notify the Secretary of State of any Address Changes Immediately

If your address changes, notify the Secretary of State.  Go to their website and complete the address change form immediately.  This has to be done within 10 days after your address changes.

When notaries move out of Texas...

Once you no longer live in Texas, your commission is terminated.  If you move back, you’ll need to start the process over again.

New Name? Notifying the Secretary of State for a Name Change is Optional

If your name changes due to marriage or for other reasons, you may continue to use your old name if you’d like.  If you want to change your name on your commission and notary seal stamp, you’ll need to complete this form and once your name change is approved, you must purchase a stamp in your new name. 

Winding Up

If you no longer wish to be a notary, move out of Texas, your commission is revoked, or even if you die during your commission term, you still have an obligation to the State of Texas to wind up all business related to being a Texas notary.

Voluntary Surrender

The Secretary of State has prepared a form that you may use to voluntarily surrender your notary commission. (See Figure 2- Voluntary Surrender of Notary Commission.) If you can’t obtain the form for some reason, write a letter to the Secretary of State that contains the following information.
My Social Security number: _________________             Commission expiration date: _________________
My commissioned name: _________________                   Commission number: ______________________

I voluntarily surrender my notary commission. I understand that I am no longer authorized to perform the acts of a Texas notary public.  
Include one of the following statements:
My original notary public commission is enclosed. -OR- I no longer have my original notary public commission.
Execution Date: _________________
Signature of Surrendering Notary               Email: ______________________
Printed or typed name of Surrendering Notary                                Phone: ______________________
In addition, you must send your notary journals to the county clerk’s office in the county of your residence.  

Moving Out of Texas

Before you move, submit a voluntary surrender form as explained above. Send your notary journals to the county clerk’s office in the county where you live.
Include a note on the form that shows your new address.  This must be done within ten days of your residence change.

Texas Notary Directory


Brenda's List | Notary Product & Service Providers 


[1] RULE §87.50       Change of Address - (a) A notary must notify the secretary of state in writing of a change in address within 10 days of the change. To notify the secretary of state of a change of address, the notary should complete and submit form 2302 (Notary Public Change of Address Form). This form is available on the secretary of state web site at www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/statforms.shtml.
(b) The secretary of state sends all official notices, including notices of complaints, to the notary at the address on file with the secretary's office. Requests to obtain copies of or inspect the records in the notary record book are also directed to the notary at the address on file. Failure to change the address may, consequently, result in a revocation of the notary commission if the notary fails to timely respond to a complaint or to a request for public information.
(c) A notary public who removes his or her residence from Texas vacates the office of notary public and must surrender the notary commission to the secretary of state.

Don't miss a post! Follow along by email!